After creating a new content page, News article, Event or even a Landing page in Atlas, you will need to edit it and add content to make it useful to others.
If you want to delete a page that you created, please speak to your Atlas administrator.
If you create your page using Add It, you will be redirected to the page in Edit mode after creation. If you are editing a previously published page, click the cogwheel in the top right to open the SharePoint menu. Click Edit page to start making changes:
In edit mode, you will see a form at the top of the page which lets you set or edit the page metadata. Let’s look at an Event page as an example of how a page can be created and configured.
At the top of the page you will find the metadata panel. In the first section of the metadata panel you can edit the General Information:
- Title – displayed on the page and any web parts that return this page
- Description – not required but can help with Search
- Navigation – determines the parent node for this page, allowing the correct site path to be shown in the breadcrumb
- Rollup Image – displayed as the thumbnail for the article and at the top of the page
Next, because the example is an Event page, we have the Event Information section which allows you to add or update the following metadata:
- Event Start Date – populated during the page creation in Add It
- Event End Date – populated during the page creation in Add It
- Event Location – populated during the page creation in Add It. This is a free text field.
- Event Type – populated during the page creation in Add It. It can be used to help people find information, but also determines which articles can appear in the Related News web part on a specific News page.
- Hosted By – currently this can only be populated from the metadata panel
- Map Link – currently this can only be populated from the metadata panel
The final section is the Global Tags section. Regarding the “Global Tags” used for personalisation:
- Department is used to determine where to show the item based on each user’s personalisation preferences as well as Landing pages which have the same tag
- Location is used to determine where to show the item based on each user’s personalisation preferences as well as Landing pages which have the same tag. Additionally Location can be used in organisations with multiple offices to target Launchpad or Quick Links items and only show those relevant to the Location where the current user works.
Once you have added or updated all the required metadata, you have a few options:
- If you have finished working on the page, go to the Publish tab in the ribbon and click Publish:
- If you just want to save your progress without making your page visible to others you can click Save and come back to it later:
- Check In the page if you want to save your changes but allow it to be updated by a content manager before it goes live:
Please sign in to leave a comment.